Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Bubbles (not JUST for kids!)

So, why do I make bread?  It's rarely perfect, takes alot of time, and can be messy!  My guess is that I keep looking for that recipe that will be 'the aha moment' like that perfect pass, personal best run-time, or high score, and when I get that perfect moment, I'm not satisfied, I try to achieve it again, and again and so on.  It's a personal challenge, and baking bread is that challenge, for me, despite how long I've been working at it (and, if you know what Katimavik is, I've been baking bread since my tour in that program in the 80's).  While the ingredients are basic, it's the time you put into it that really matters.  For some breads, kneading is key, and others, it's the patience of rising.  And, of course, I am talking about baking bread without a bread machine,  the hands on kind of bread from start to finish. 

Foodgawker is my favorite place to find FOOD .. the pictures are dreamy and there are so many people out there with good, tried and true ideas, so why re-invent a recipe.?  Tweak it yes, but the steps are the same.  Here's one I found to share and you can adapt it to your taste.  If you like garlic and herbs, and if you like a bread that you don't have to slice, this is for you ... curious?  I've done it twice so far, and it has been 'no fail', turned out perfectly both times, and my family has been begging me to make it everyday.!

This is where I found it :: My Kitchen Addiction Blog

Garlic Bubble Loaf
Makes 1 loaf, 12 servings  
2 1/2 – 3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 egg
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- In large mixer bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups bread flour, yeast, sugar and salt.  Whisk to combine.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, heat milk, water and 2 tablespoons of butter (or shortening) until warm. Add the warm liquids and the egg to the flour mixture.  Beat by hand, or if you must, by ...
- By hand, gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on floured surface about 2 minutes, until the dough is soft and smooth.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts, then divide each half into 6 pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball.
- Melt the remaining 1/4 of butter, then combine with 'herb of your choice' (I used basil flakes) and garlic powder, and mix well.
- Dip the balls of dough into butter mixture. 
- Place in a greased 9 x 5- inch bread pan, using 6 balls on each layer.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until indentation remains after lightly touching.  About 15-30 minutes.





- Preheat the oven to 375°F. 
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and serve warm



I promise, you will eat the WHOLE LOAF, in one sitting... :-)


Insight :: Rustic Benches Studio

No comments:

Post a Comment